![]() |
| Hollie (Yr 3) |
The Starry Night is an iconic Van Gogh painting that we've used as inspiration for our art this week. When I recently saw this free lesson download at The Art of Education, I couldn't resist doing our own version.
Looking at the real deal on WikiPaintings, we especially made note of the dark detailed foreground and Van Gogh's swirling interpretation of the wind (or space) around the stars.We created our sky by drawing lots of movement lines with white and blue Crayola Color Sticks on purple paper. We then drew our foreground on a 3/4 sheet of black contruction paper and then traced over all our lines with either silver or gold sharpies before cutting it out and gluing it onto the purple sheet.
Students had complete freedom in creating their foregrounds, within the Australian theme. They produced a wide variety of settings, including bush scenes with gum trees and koalas, Ularu, the Sydney Opera House and (closer to home) the Mooloolaba Spit with it's lighthouse and water tower.
The final step was to create our stars using eraser-tipped pencils dipped into red, yellow, white and orange paint to create a variety of star-like patterns. The challenge was to try to make each star different!
This is a great lesson to illustrate the difference between copying other's art, and using it as an inspiration.
The kids produced some fabulous work on this project, I just love them!!

Hi Elizabeth
ReplyDeleteWhat an original take on Starry Night!
Thanks Rina :) The idea came from The Art of Ed, and I loved that it was so different. I tweaked it a bit so that we could complete it in our (very limited) time frame, and also gave it an Australian flavour. The kids loved it (especially the silver sharpies!!)
Delete