Extended Drawings
I've done variations of extended drawing a few of times in years past with my classes, and when I saw this post by the ever-wonderful Kathy at Art Projects for Kids, I couldn't resist doing it again. What interested me was the way Kathy has used this activity to encourage students to work with careful detail by showing them 'Super Speedy' and 'Super Detailed' examples of the same sheet.
When I showed similar examples to my classes the contrast between the two drew lots of 'oohs and aahs' from the kids, and they were really inspired to work with focus. I think I can safely say that you could have heard a pin drop as they worked on their own pictures!
Kathy has created free templates for her extended drawing project, but I only had a half lesson available, so I needed a sheet with fewer photos. I followed the link I found in the comments of Kathy's post to these great animal photographs on white backgrounds - it certainly saved a lot of time hunting through magazines, or editing photos myself!
We used plain old black biro to create detailed environments for the animals, and the results are fantastic. It really gave those students who love precise, detailed work an opportunity to shine!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment - I love hearing your opinion, it means a lot to me, and to my students!