![]() |
| Cheyennyn B (Year 7) |
![]() |
| Amy H (Year 7) |
![]() |
| Zara B (Year 4) |
![]() |
| James R-S (Year 5) |
![]() |
| Hannah Y (Year 2) |
![]() |
| Taleeha B (Year 2) |
![]() |
| Maddy W (Year 4) |
![]() |
| Mayah K (Year 5) |
![]() |
| Juliana K (Year 1) |
![]() |
| Kaiden S (Year 3) |
![]() |
| Macy E (Year 3) |
Continuing the lesson sequence using a marbling technique with soft (chalk) pastels...
Because I have 5 after-school classes (each at different schools,so each lesson is repeated 5 times) - I adapt and modify the lesson each time I teach it (to ensure we finish on time... to make delivery a little smoother.... to include another idea.... to maintain my own enthusiasm... all sorts of reasons!)
I have loved this project! It's so effective, fun to implement, and has the added bonus of using the left-over scraps of soft pastels lurking in my cupboard that I just haven't been able to bring myself to throw out - because 'one day' I might find a use for them! Well 'one day' has arrived!!!
I have made only one small modification to the original lesson - instead of the children scraping the soft pastels onto the water tray (which is very difficult for the prep children - we accidentally dropped a lot of pieces into the water!) I have pre-crushed the pastels into plastic pots with a perforated lid. This means that the kids can shake the soft pastel dust onto the surface of the water with much more control.
The end result is a better coverage of pastel on the water (and therefore on the page), and it is far more manageable for the younger students. This method also saves a lot of time, so that the whole lesson becomes very do-able in the hour and a half I have with them.
With both methods there is an (I think a lovely) unpredictability to the process. Small air bubbles trapped between the water and the pastel powder burst when you pull the paper off the water. They actually form lovely organic fractal-like white spots in the color... I've made a bit of a thing about how beautiful they are to stop kids using their fingers to smear wet color over what they perceive to be mistakes!
![]() |
| Pastel scraped onto water |
![]() |
| Pastel pre-crushed and shaken onto water |













Thanks for your comment on my blog! Your projects are great and very inspiring. :)
ReplyDeleteThose a really nice! I like the love birds one best :).
ReplyDeleteI like how you changed your prep and shook the crushed pastels onto the paper...they look awesoome!
ReplyDeleteThese are truly gorgeous!!! What a fantastic idea!
ReplyDeleteI read few content on this internet site and I think that your blog is really interesting and holds lots of wonderful info .
ReplyDeleteVery effective and a great use of old pastels. Im definitely going to try this!
ReplyDelete